Sunday 19 April 2015

Unit 2 - Outcomes of Research

Unit 2 - Research Outcomes

The outcomes of my research came in three parts:
  • That of my original analysis
  • Results from my applied research
  • The Correlated results
My original analysis of Brit-pop music video brought forward themes of British stereotypes, local British accents and visualisations of the youth in Britain. Technical aspects tend to be quite low when produced giving it an almost amateur feel but that then high tens the british feel as we kind of feel home made and seeing a street that could be any in Britain is interesting.

Second exploration into the music videos when applied to Theorist such as Andrew Godwin Laura Mulvey or Carol Vernallis garnered more information. The results I found to be evident is that the videos didn't follow the music fully very often, some of the narrative was generally connected to the song with maybe a theme on the musicians miming a performance. Technically the cuts were not always tight with the music following the flow of visuals primarily. 

From my Questionaire I gained these results - Younger participants felt energy was very important older ones knew more of the subject and gave opinions on the elements of music video and Brit-pop. I drew from this that if I were to aim it at older people who lived through the movement my analysis starts to line up. My questions can be improved by choosing a better set of extended questions framed more openly using prying and stimulant words the Why does this effect you? keeping them open ended. In my reach for participants printing and collecting may be more appropriate to gain the audience who would have knowledge or experience of the genre because they will not only have an opinion they will have their own strengths, weaknesses and preferences.

From my Focus Group I Gained these results - The key elements were that younger people are a lot more technically focused and were baffled by some of the things shown in my presentation. They were not receptive in what I was asking them but that was because I was feeling nervous and had recently abandoned my prearranged questions. They caught the themes of Intertexuality which lined up with my own research which I am taking on board and hope to include some of my own. What was wrong was that my prepared questions were too specific like what was the fashion of the British youth in the mid 1990s when whilst it would help in costuming for my music video I should have been open and talked about the character or band visuals. Band imagery would have linked back in with my analysis using theorist Andrew Goodwin and how it was included into the music videos.

Correlated from the compilation from these results have resulted in the conclusions Brit-pop video should include a range of its themes and conventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment