Sunday 21 September 2014

New Wave Brief - Own Wave

Unit 30 New Wave - Own Brief

Through the influence and techniques of the "New Waves" in cinema, I shall be creating a short film of about three minutes in length. My film will be in montage having its story journey between two main separate locations. Something that was key to new wave creators was personal ideas were connected to filmmaker experiences throughout. From what I have gathered in the documentary No Subtitles Necessary (2008) the film Paper Moon has an exploration of a daughter and her father, its cinematographer, Laszlo Kovacs, who had his own daughter but didn't meet her but paid her mother throughout. I would use my personal history such as the film makers in the 60's and 70's were affected greatly by such wars such a WW2, the Cold war and the Vietnam war. I particularly haven't been affected by such things but I will look at the situations facing me and my own disillusionment like the Hong Kong second wave as it approached its being handed back over to China. This may include ideas of what you should be doing and should have done by my age, as a young adult, in education, in/out of work how to form and maintain relationships in a mature manner. In particular the question of "What are you up to?"  is personal to me as the answer is nothing and i feel like I have to give proof in order to have the right to exist. This will become my focus and it is important to explore the creators context as in New Waves it directly feeds into the finished project.

The camera that will be used will be portable and within the available budget and equipment. I shall film on the locations using natural lighting and natural ambient sound. This basic equipment and ambient sound was very much to do with how new waves created their films and how I will create my piece. Rules of the camera such as the rule of thirds and the 180 degree rule may be pushed or even broken in my project. The way things were captured in New Waves was different the camera takes were long and edited with sharp straight cuts or jump cuts were used in transitioning. I shall use the cuts very disjointedly like in Easy Rider where the cutting back and forth through scenes alerts the viewer that they are watching a film I will be blurring my roles in creating this film. I may also record in black and white to create stronger contrasts that were used in New wave cinema.

Narratively I want to have a relationship start to develop between two naturalistic characters walking down various ways and spaces, where their trust and suspicions are explored. Who are we and do we shut off so much to the point where we shut of our selves, what is too much to entrust to another.

The framing as I will be focusing on the people, using their enviroment and setting to shift focus depending on much trust there is. I will use the two shot to give the sense of togetherness, be it forced or not, then the shot reverse shot would be more confrontational and not just conversational, putting them against each other.

The New Wave influence will have to be recreated though as the time when it was happening has past and limits such as the relative expense of film its self and the availability of recording in different places. Tracking shots using already moving objects would be a good New Wave use of escalators or cars to get shots. I will decide to use places that are safe and where possible I have permission.

Health and Safety

Health and safety must be observed in the recording and collection of all footage. Each recording session and new location must be checked that it is safe before filming can commence.

No comments:

Post a Comment