Wednesday 17 June 2015

Ideas and Development Unit 36

Music Video Ideas

Brit-Pop Themes and Conventions to use
  • Urbanised areas - terraced housing, tarmac roads, shops (high street)
  • British Culture - Iconography, Public transport, Tea, Post offices.
  • Male centred - Lads mags, Beer, Pub, One guy walking around sultry.
  • Narratives - Having fun in Britain, Every day life, Commentary of the general situation
  • Band and star imagery - Having band members play or involved in the music video, Costume quite sporty urban mixed with casual jackets, sunglasses.
Examples from Sourced videos

Walking down streets - Bitter Sweet Symphony (The Verve)


Getting ready - Charmless man (Blur)


Humorous affected Editing - Parklife (Blur)

Ideas of Home - Morning Glory (Oasis) There's No Other Way (Blur)




Male Gaze - Country House (Blur) Boys and Girls (Blur)


British Cultural Imagery - All of the above

Deliberation of Ideas

I have looked into what I could possibly do in realistic terms and I have got one actress on board which would change my focus on what I will do. My original idea of a few male characters on a Lads' night out, showing getting ready walking to a venue seeing a British band and some stereotypical imagery of tea, beer, raucous behavior and a male gaze view at women. This would have fit in quite well with what information I garnered from my research making it an energetic lively youthful piece filled with British culture and a narrative many young persons today could relate to.

I decided to cut back a lot on this first idea after learning through previous units what I could get done in similar amounts of time. My narrative would now follow the songs title and structure having my character getting ready before traveling down reasonably empty streets. I looked into various streets near a couple of locations to find suitably urban homes, streets and shops that could give British symbolism. This helped further my ideas and linking it back to the codes and conventions of the genre I realised a lot of what was there 20 years ago was there to be found today. The mise-en-scene would become a focus informing on production ideas of deep focus or just shots of the environment.

Looking back on Ideas, how they developed into the product

I created a story board with my new intentions in mind featuring a series of long shots to incorporate New Wave film techniques and with the shot of a street face on with my character I tried to channel Bittersweet Symphony's aesthetics. The first day of shooting was done in the evening so we had some lovely bright shots with the low sun eventually turning blue which only informed more ideas after reviewing the footage in editing the next day and I thought it would make a good end to my narrative having the day end but the streets not to. Second day of shooting brought around the house focused stuff I decided to get a lot more of the getting ready routine than I had originally planned for good practice of more footage is better when looking for those extra few seconds. Things went well and the shots captured included some genuine reactions of my actress that I used in the final product. The third shoot not much was developed except by happy chance in the streets that I had looked at for recording it was bin day and there were a fair bit of road works helping my get a few symbolic shots referencing The Verve and Blur. Ideas were developed into the editing stage where following Andrew Goodwin's rhythm and thematic editing I increased the length shown indoors and a moment in transition was informed by the lyrics. There is a mention of catching the 5:14 to a station now rather than a train of a plane which seemed to be described I used footage of a bus as the public transport being caught by people. By my finished edit the piece had evolved into a product that had elements of my learning and work up to this date including information from my research of Brit-pop and the New waves of cinema that I studied nearly a year ago. It all came together in a piece with many varying yet complimentary themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment