Wednesday 17 June 2015

Snapshot into Editing Unit 36 Music Video

Editing My Music Video

 Here I edited in a spin on to a clip within my music video. I did this by accessing the properties menu in the top left corner selecting the second tab available. In this list there is the option to rotate which after a couple of key frames are placed you can free rotate with each cycle of 360 decrees being added on. I had to scale up my originally framed recording of the grit salt bin because the rotate effect cut through the corners. I scaled up the clip using the scale value and slid it higher until corners off the frame would no longer show. I did this to emphasise a guitar sound heard in the music track as that sound rings the object spins which links in with looking at moments in music video using Andrew Goodwin's theory. This was done because of my influence of Brit-Pop videos occasionally having affected editing to show humour for an example Blur's Parklife has a spinning man sped up but I instead had my clip to spin. It did not work as well as expected because when capturing the original footage I did not take into account the framing and so the scaled version is too close to clearly see what is being recorded. With future edits in mind I would avoid doing this unless at all unless it fit a comical/lighthearted production. If done in future I would be careful of how I captured the footage making sure that the object is central with enough of the frame around it. In editing I would have considered a tighter or rather more precise cut either side of the clip to achieve a better effect, listening closer to the music, perhaps checking frame by frame to cut along side the music track.
 Here I edited to the rhythm of the song track and added a dissolve transition to end the piece. Andrew Goodwin and his book Dancing in the Distraction factory highlights the effect that having edits and cuts to the rhythm of the song and also looking into Eisenstein's rhythmic montage I can create an audience friendly music video. In the above edit screen shot whilst I have more precise cuts to the songs beat but here you can see the peak in audio and that my cut is close to incorporate that rhythm. I used the "m" button to create markers to help at key changes in the music and in this closing section it has rhythmic hits that straight cuts to the rhythm gives them meaning. The dissolve was added by accessing the transitions menu after placed I stretched its transition time to match with the end of the audio signal. It is a simple, effective way to end a production as it clearly shows the audience that the information is over. The pace of the fade was rather important as too fast it comes out of nowhere and the audience may miss it or expect more if too slow it appears as a mistake feeling awkward. I feel I have got the balance right using the end of the audio track to be the end point of the footage and the end of music as the start of the fade.
 Here I attempted a match on action shot between two shots of my character closing the door.
looking at both frames that I used in and out points with I have captured the best frame to transition on where the character turns to close the door. I was lucky in the fact the character closed the door the same way. If done again I would have planned for that rather than happy accident but my choice of cut was good it follows the process of natural action by utilising this editing skill used frequently in the golden age of Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment